Monday, March 30, 2009

The Important Things in Life...


Have you all seen this? It really makes you sit back and think about what's important in your life.

Take this quiz:

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
Bill Gates, the Sultan of Brunei????

2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
nope, can't do it...

3. Name the last three winners of the American Idol.
David Cook, Jordin Sparks, and Taylor Hicks (not sure what this means about me that this was the easiest category to fill out)

4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
John Nash, Jimmy Carter, Dalai Lama, Mother Theresa, Winston Churchill, T.S. Eliot, Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, and that's all I have...(and I'm not sure these are right, but they are my guesses)

5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor actress.
I can't do this question at all. I like watching movies, but I don't tend to like the same types of movies as the "Academy", so I never watch the Academy Awards.

6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.
Baseball isn't my thing, and since the Cincinnati Reds haven' done well since 1990, I have no clue!

How did you do?The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.Here's another quiz.

I want to share with you these special people in my life. Rather than just give a short name, I want to tell you why each of these people are special. I am going to answer two of the questions today and save the other 4 for Tuesday and Wednesday.

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
- Mrs. Perkins: my first grade teacher who taught me that school could be fun and it wasn't scary. I still have a little Raggedy Ann book she gave me on the last day of school that year (let's just say the book is over 30 years old). Thanks Mrs. Perkins!

- Miss Losey: my fifth grade teacher who taught me what a smart student I was. I was a very average student until I came across Miss Losey. It turned out I was a really good speller and would win the class spelling bee every Friday, until she brought a smarty pants 4th grader in to give me a run! Thanks Miss Losey!

- Mr. Clark: he wasn't even one of my teachers. I had Mrs. Ho (yes, that was her name) for Chemistry, but found myself bored by her class. I was bored not because I was bored by the topic, but bored because she wasn't teaching me fast enough. Who would have thunk? Mr. Clark taught the other Chemistry classes and began to tutor me after school. He is the reason that I majored in science in college. Thanks Mr. Clark!

- Dr. Williams: one of my favorite teachers ever! Dr. Williams was my music teacher from the time I was three weeks old (my first piano lesson), to making sure I knew what the story line was before our elementary school trips to the foreign operas (everyone else hated this, but I loved it), to helping me choose a band instrument, making me learn other band instruments because his French Horn section was graduating, teaching orchestra, marching band, jazz band, music composition, etc. As an added perk, he also happens to be my dad :). Thanks Dad!

- Dr. and Mrs. Rambo: This was a husband and wife duo of Biology professors at my college. I can honestly say that they have changed my life. Mrs. Rambo taught my General Biology classes as a freshmen, and then Dr. Rambo taught my Animal Behavior, Ornithology (study of birds) and Ecology, and was also my sponsor for my senior thesis. When my husband and I were getting married, we tried really hard to get all of our family together on a weekend where Dr. Rambo could officiate, but it just didn't work. I am friends with both of them on Facebook, and just last week went running outside with my camera (in my nightgown) to chase down a bird I hadn't seen before. Thanks Dr. and Mrs. Rambo!

2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
- Pegi/Maggie: Her name alone is a fun story for another day. Pegi/Maggie helped me through a horrible divorce while she was going through one herself. She has the best laugh ever and could make a rock smile. Thanks Pegi/Maggie!

- Trinette: I don't know how I could possible have lived 30 years of my life not knowing you. She has been such a great sounding board for me and only she knows what she's talked me in and out of doing :)! Plus, my son may be only 8 today, but we may be in-laws someday! Thanks Trinette!

- Allison: I wasn't a fan of you the day mom and dad brought you home. I wasn't a fan of yours while you were going through puberty. I wasn't a fan of yours while I was getting married. But somehow, in the midst of all of that, you became my best friend. Thanks Allison!

Thank you again to some of the most important people in my life. Some of you know how I feel and others have no clue. Hopefully, now you do!

Tata - K!

No comments:

Post a Comment