Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Beautiful Things

I wanted to share my weekend with you...in pictures...

On Sunday after church, our family had a wonderful brunch at a really fun restaurant in Northern Kentucky. I've lived here for 25 years, yet have only eaten at this place one other time. The restaurant is on the top floor of a hotel and the floor of the restaurant actually revolves in a circle. During our 1 hour brunch, we enjoyed a panoramic view of downtown Cincinnati and Covington, Kentucky.

This is a view of the Ohio River and downtown Cincinnati. That's Paul Brown Stadium you see behind the bridge. For those of you not "up" on your stadiums, that's the home of the top-notch Cincinnati Bengals. The Reds (who are actually a decent ball team) play at the Great American Ball Park, which you can't see in this picture. The tallest building you see is the Carew Tower. It's the tallest structure in Cincinnati, and I have walked the stairs to the top of it!
This is Mainstrasse, in Covington, KY. Covington (and Cincinnati, for that matter) was settled in the early 1800's by mostly German immigrants. We LOVE our German heritage in Cincinnati, and celebrate Oktoberfest and Maifest every year!

This gorgeous building is the Cathedral Basilica, also in Covington. I apologize for my amateur photography, but this building is probably a good mile from where I was enjoying lunch. This beautiful structure was modeled after the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris and is a must see if you are ever in the area. It also is home to the world's largest and third largest stained glass windows. Beautiful!!!

After brunch, we went to the Butterfly show at the Cincinnati Flower and Garden center. This year they featured native species to India. I usually insist on going each year, but this year I remembered my camera! This Common Tiger butterfly was beatiful and rather friendly. Shortly after I took this picture, he (she?) flew away.

And this is where he landed. He actually stayed here for quite some time. Plenty enough time for my sister-in-law and I to take plenty of pictures. That's my husband's forehead, by the way. He says it's because he's so sweet and all. Not sure about that?!?!

I loved the pattern on this beautiful Common Sailor butterfly. Even black and white is beautiful!


I have no idea what this is, but doesn't that big spot look like an eye staring back at you?


This is an orchid, that was in the flower part of the show. Isn't it stunning?


I simply LOVE the color of these leaves. I think this is called a Red Ti, but not certain. I'm pretty sure these aren't native to Kentucky, but I'd plant them in my front yard if they were!


I also love this red Peace Lily. My grandmother's name was Lillie and everytime I see one, I think of her. She would have loved this red one.


This is what I found after I finished up in the gift shop. Don't they look content (aka bored out of their minds!)?
Love, Kelli

3 comments:

  1. I have those TI plants in front of my house - they are awesome! I bet you could use them as a house plant - they just would take a lot of light.

    Thank you for the little history lesson - I bet my honey never knew any of that! Will you be my tour guide next time we are in town? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Kelli!
    I, myself have only eaten at the revolving resturant once.

    I've never been to the butterfly show, but have seen pictures because Nik has been.

    However, I could do a tour of the Flower and Garden Center---all those school trips :).
    (I also could be a tour guide at the Zoo, for the same reason)


    No kiddin, the pictures are great!!!

    LOVE AUNT SHARON<><

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love butterfly gardens! So cool when they land on you! Looks like you had a pretty great day. Why wasn't I invited?

    ReplyDelete