Monday, June 1, 2009

There's a Mouse in My Piano!

What I'm about to tell you is absolutely 100% true. If it weren't Monday and time for Wendy's Life is Funny Carnival, I probably wouldn't admit it, though. You know the "rules" by now, but if not, you can find them on her blog weightwhat.blogspot.com.

This past weekend, I was working on the never ending kitchen renovation project. I promise it's getting close and I promise to share the before and after pictures when it's finished.

I was on the kitchen floor grouting the new tile I put in last week, and kept hearing a noise from my living room. I wasn't sure what the noise was, but assumed I wasn't in imminent danger. I forgot about it after a bit.

About an hour later, I decided to take a break and sat down to watch a TV show in the living room. There it went again. It sounded like a "plink" on my piano.

I waited a few minutes and it happened again...."plink".

I turned off the television and waited.

"plink"

I walked over to the piano and started to study the piano keys. I hit a few notes and figured out that whatever it was, the "plink" was a high E Flat. (Yes, I can play the piano. My dad was a music teacher, and I didn't have much of a choice :-)).

I was staring intently at the piano when my husband walked up behind me.

Him: "Honey. Are you ok?"

Me: "Not sure."

Him: "Honey. What are you looking at?"

Me: "I keep hearing a noise. It's an E Flat. But the key isn't moving up and down when the noise happens!"

Him: "Well, maybe it's a mouse." He says this rather calmly like I wouldn't care if there's a mouse living in my piano.

I just stared at him.

Him: "Watch out! There it goes!!!"

Me: I punched him. Hard.

Him: "Honey. Have you thought of lifting the lid to see if it's a mouse?"

Piano: "Plink!"

Me: I stared at him.

Him: "Honey. Or, you could just plug in my cell phone so it won't keep making that noise."

Yep! That's right! I spent 1 hour and 20 minutes of my life worrying about the mouse that was playing Beethoven's 5th in my piano only to not see my husband's cell phone sitting on the piano telling me it needed to be plugged in!

"Plink!"










Love, K

5 comments:

  1. We don't have a piano, but I have been startled by my purse starting to beep, and me not knowing what the beep was beeping.
    I can only imagine the confusion I'd have felt if I had a piano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that sounds just like something I'd do. And yes, my husband would probably keep from me that it's his phone making the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! I have no piano and hopefully, no mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! I once searched for quite awhile for the source of an equally mysterious beep. Each time I heard it, I moved closer to where I thought it was coming from. It ended up being our smoke detector that needed a battery change!

    Now, if dear ol' hubby doesn't follow your blog, you may want to get even with this little device: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

    ReplyDelete