Thursday, February 5, 2009

The love of my life



So someone asked me the other day what I love to do. I started to rattle off all of the normal things...knitting, reading, baking, reading, playing with my kids, etc. And then I almost forgot to tell her about the love of my life. You ready for this one? It's geocaching!

Here's a picture of my son after finding a cache hidden at the base of a tree.

Straight from geocaching.com..."Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online."

How nerdy and fun does that sound? I have to admit that I was turned on to this little gem of a hobby by 2 IT professionals (read nerds) that sat near me at work. I went with them to look for this tiny little thing (wasn't sure what I was looking for at the time) hidden in this stairwell on top of the tallest building in downtown Cinti. And it hit me...I was hooked.

The idea is that fellow geocachers hide their caches and then post the coordinates. You then follow the coordinates using your GPS and any hint they are nice enough to leave you with. It's proper protocol to sign the log and if the container is large enough there are sometimes trinkets. You take one and leave one for the next cacher.

Before long, I had logged 10 caches in the next week and even found myself staying up late obsessing about a particular cache (the dreaded Yellow Handle Communicator)! We organized a Wednesday caching crew of fellow cube-mates and went during our lunches to see how many we could find.

My husband and dog not paying any attention to the GPS coordinates.

Long story short, I can't wait for this snow to go away and for it to be a bit warmer. Fifteen degrees outside, does not make for fun caching weather.
Feel free to leave your caching stories, and be sure to visit http://www.geocaching.com/!

Tata - K

No comments:

Post a Comment