Wednesday, September 9, 2009

As Seen on TV...

I have been working with a new IT consultant at work. Of course, I wouldn't be me, if I didn't chat her up and get to know her a bit ;-)!
f
One day we were chatting over lunch and we were talking about our favorite places to shop. She mentioned that she and her husband had a bad habit of buying things off of television infomercials. I asked if they go to the outlet stores, but she swears they buy them right off of television.

UPDATE: She now swears that you can buy all of this stuff at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. She doesn't want you to think she's weird and spends too much on shipping costs.
f

f
Have you guys seen the Bender Ball? If you ask me, it looks painful! Either way, she says it doesn't work.
f
f
And here's the Topsy Turvy Tomato planter. Apparently you buy this contraption for $10, but you have to pay extra for the soil and the tomato plant (I think it should come with it, but whatever). Then you hang it upside down on your patio. The whole idea is that it hangs upside down and the squirrels and deer can't get to your plants. Unless your my friend and you had to buy something to hang the planter from and your squirrels jump.
f
UPDATE: She says that there are only 5 green tomatoes on the plant and she doesn't think they are ever going to turn green.
f
f
Just for the record, Sham-wow's don't work like the commercials and she's not a fan of the "Tater Mitts"!
f
So, I started thinking back to if I had ever bought anything from an infomercial. Before I had cable, I sat through many a Ron Popeil (remember him?) infomercial. My favorite was the spray on toupee. My hair is actually thick and curly, so I didn't buy this.
f
But I did buy the food dehydrator!!!! I still have this beauty, even though I only use it these days to dry my herbs in the fall.
f
f
And then I had a flashback. I saw this on television and I HAD TO HAVE IT!!! It was only $79.99, people!?!?!
f
f
Doesn't it look like fun? I was convinced I was going to drop 50 pounds!
f
You slip on these cute little booties over your gym shoes and it's like speed skating. You push from one side to the next. Like a graceful gazelle!
f
Or, you get on it and you push to one side. The dog starts going crazy because she secretly knows your nuts and are going to break every bone in your leg. So, you go to lock her out of the room, but you forget to take off the cute little booties. Instead, you slide across the hard wood floors and hit your head on the corner of the door. You get the dog locked out of the room, you take the darn booties off, and you make sure your head isn't bleeding. You hear your dad in your head saying "buck up, soldier!" So you put the stupid booties back on and jump right back on. After all, this has to be like riding a bike. Heck, it's definitely safer than riding your bike.
f
So, you assume the position. And...
f
your foot, not so gracefully, smashes into the other side of this stupid contraption and you hear your ankle pop! After a trip to the emergency room, you're assured that this is a minor sprain (even though your ankle is 3 times the size and a lovely shade of purple and green).
f
Yeah, so I never got on the thing again.
f
Has anyone else had any "gotta have 'em" buys?!?!?!
f
Love, K

3 comments:

  1. Kelli-that would be my Big Al who buys all sorts of things (we don't need) off TV. I hope he doesn't even see the pics on this post- he'll grab for the phone and try to order all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, I always wanted to buy stuf' from TV. but, I wasn't brave enough...and also...I'm very tight with my money...

    Uncle Bill, on the other hand....Let's just say "there's one born every minute"

    I did buy a steam iron one time...very boring :)

    Love,
    Aunt Sharon<><

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that Target carries stuff 'as seen on tv', too? Not that I would know. I've never brought home anything hyped by the late Billy Mays. Just don't look in that drawer...

    ReplyDelete